Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

2011-01-25

CNR SD60F # 5512

This unit is built from a Kaslo kit, riding on a Life-Like/Proto 2000 SD60 drive.

Once again, the Kaslo kit came with virtually everything needed to complete the unit. I opted for Details West plough.  MU hoses and  trainline hoses are Detail Associates items.  Smokey Valley supplied the stanchions.  This time, however, I used the stainless steel etched wipers and I'm most pleased with their fidelity.
Sadly, CN has sidelined the SD50F and it appears that the SD60Fs days are coming to a close.  Personally, I associate these cowl units with "modern" Canadian railroading, and I will be sad to see them gone.



The Kaslo kit comes with etched window frames.  This allows for excellent detail and flush-mounted windows.  Did I mention the kits come with pre-cut clear acetate for the windows?  They do!

I opted to use Train Station Products Q-fans, and Miniatures by Eric 3-chime horn.  Gotta love CNR's paint job- It only looks tattered when the red/orange fades or chips. 
 For a time, (1984-1989,) CNR bought "Draper Taper" wide-cowl units exclusively.  They acquired SD50Fs, SD60Fs, Bombardier HR616s and GE C40-8ms.  The crew's complaints about poor sight-lines is the likely reason the Draper was phased out with the order for the SD70i and C44-9WL.

1 comment: